Family and Consumer Services
Which pathways are offered?
- Human and Social Services— This pathway prepares students for careers in child and family services by focusing on the skills needed to guide the physical, intellectual, emotional, and social development of children.
- Nutrition Science and Dietetics— This pathway focuses on the development of essential food safety practices needed to select, receive, store, prepare, and serve food, as well as the skills needed to select food that meets nutritional needs of individuals and families.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Examples of jobs include:
- Childcare Worker
- Elementary Aide
- Pastry and Specialty Chef
- Food Service Manager
- Health Services Manager
- Restaurant Owner
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job title, but approximate sample salaries include:
- Chef and Head Cook—$51,530/year
- Childcare Worker—$24,230/year
- Elementary Aide—$27,920/year
- Food Service Manager—$55,320/year
- Health Services Manager—$100,980/year
- High School Teacher—$61,660/year
*Some of these jobs may require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 10, 2020.
Which industry-recognized, in-demand certifications and exams can my student prepare for?
- ICEV AMSA Employment Professional Careers
- CPR/First Aid
- ServSafe Food Handler